Understanding a Changing World (Academic)
Email Customer Service or call 800-368-6868 for FTE pricing, starting at $599 per database for single site purchases. Ask about discounts on bundles and discounts for districts. ABC-CLIO Solutions databases are also available for purchase through EBSCO, Mackin, and Follett.
Global literacy is a new necessity of undergraduate education and the foundational goal of World Geography: Understanding a Changing World.
World Geography: Understanding a Changing World connects student researchers with more than 15,000 primary and secondary sources to drive analysis of the geographical, political, social, economic, and cultural forces at play in the modern globalized world. The study of individual nations and demographic comparisons between countries are both served by the database's structure, which presents content by region but also allows for advanced searching. Within the topic center for any given country, reference material addresses everything from natural resources and traditional dress to history and contemporary issues. An advisory board of leading geographers oversees all content development in World Geography: Understanding a Changing World and also vets the original journal articles that comprise its academic roundtables.
- Nearly 200 overviews of countries around the world, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, that address environment, culture, government, history, economy, and more
- More than 1,800 biographies of important political and cultural figures, including Nigerian human rights activist and playwright Wole Soyinka, British Prime Minister Theresa May, and President of the Philippines Rodrigo Duterte
- Roughly 125 original journal articles from leading academics such as David Lopez-Carr, Fred M. Shelley, and John Agnew on complex topics such as justifications for U.S. sanctions against Russia, North Korea, and Iran; the potential consequences of the Arctic meltdown; and solutions for mitigating the mutual distrust between Muslim and Western societies
- More than 600 maps, including political and topographical by country and world region
- Suite Features
ABC-CLIO Solutions Academic Editions
The ABC-CLIO Solutions Academic Edition suite supplies the digital reference collections and full-text scholarship integral to undergraduate research in the humanities. In each of the suite's 14 dynamic and discipline-specific databases, student researchers are empowered to broaden their understandings, analyze historical and societal complexities, and develop innovative and informed perspectives.
Contributions from more than 3,000 field scholars and real-time updates ensure researchers are always accessing relevant and credible material. Across all 14 databases, investigations into critical topics yield three integrated but distinct content components to support thesis-driven research:
Original journal articles, authored by leading academics and vetted by advisory boards of credentialed experts, that offer varied viewpoints on the complexities and nuances inherent in the discipline to serve as both sources and exemplars of evidence-based scholarly thought,
A robust reference library that draws from 200,000+ primary and secondary sources, including media and data,
And a course companion, comprised of both text and video lectures, designed to reinforce coursework or drive independent study.
- Coverage spans the humanities, from core disciplines like American history to emergent fields of study, including modern genocide and popular culture.
- All material is authored by accomplished academics and vetted by database-specific advisory boards, while daily updates across the suite ensure that database content evolves to reflect changing understandings and developments in the field.
- Both browsing and linear learning are supported by the databases' topic center structure, with each topic center housing a variety of relevant content including primary sources, reference material, and journal articles.
- Targeted research is served by the federated search engine, which pulls content from across multiple databases to connect students with any and all applicable material. Researchers can then apply advanced search filters to locate the precise resources they seek.
- Built-in tools are available to support and streamline the research process, including the cite tool for instant citation generation and the CLIOview feature for comparative data analysis.
- Advisory Board
- Topic Centers
• United States
• Bosnia and Herzegovina
• Czech Republic
• San Marino
• United Kingdom
• Sri Lanka
|Oceania and Antarctica|
• New Zealand
• Papua New Guinea
• Solomon Islands
• Marshall Islands
|Central America and the Caribbean|
• Antigua and Barbuda
• Costa Rica
• Dominican Republic
• El Salvador
• St. Kitts and Nevis
• St. Lucia
• St. Vincent and the Grenadines
• Trinidad and Tobago
|Russia, the Caucasus, and Central Asia|
|Southwest Asia and North Africa|
• Palestinian Autonomous Region
• Saudi Arabia
• United Arab Emirates
|East and Southeast Asia|
• East Timor
• North Korea
• South Korea
• Burkina Faso
• Cape Verde
• Central African Republic
• Comoro Islands
• Congo Republic
• Cote d'Ivoire
• Democratic Republic of Congo
• Equatorial Guinea
• Sao Tome and Principe
• Sierra Leone
• South Africa
• South Sudan
"ABC-CLIO's World Geography database is a useful resource for users to explore the world around them. The World Geography database does not limit itself strictly to geography in the traditional sense—the entries on each nation include reflections on history, politics, and culture. . . . Recommended for high school and academic libraries."
"With an emphasis on human geography, it presents a rich, engaging entry to the field...This resource's value comes from its engaging presentation and its consolidation, into a single discrete package, of standard reliable information a la social studies/geography textbooks..."
|How do I subscribe to a Solutions database?|
To subscribe to a database, first e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call Customer Service at 1-800-368-6868 for pricing, tiered based on the number of users at your institution. Once you have this information, you can send a Purchase Order to Customer Service.|
|Can I subscribe to the databases through a distributor?|
Yes. In addition to being available for purchase directly, ABC-CLIO Solutions databases are also available for purchase through EBSCO, Mackin, and Follett.|
|How do I send a Purchase Order?|
You can send a Purchase Order in one of three ways: by scanning and e-mailing it to email@example.com, by faxing it to 866-270-3856, or by mailing it to:|
P.O. Box 1911
Santa Barbara, CA 93116-1911
|How can I place an order if ABC-CLIO is not on my institution’s approved vendor list?|
ABC-CLIO products are sold through EBSCO, Follett, and Mackin and select consortia. Please contact your preferred distributor or consortium from your approved vendor list. If you are interested in ordering directly from ABC-CLIO, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know how we can begin the process of being added to your institution’s approved vendor list.|
|How often are the databases updated?
ABC-CLIO Solutions databases are updated daily to reflect any developments and to align with school and course curricula.|
|Can students access the databases while they are away from the school/library?|
Yes. You can access ABC-CLIO Solutions databases any place where you have Internet access. All you need is your username and password, or those provided to you by your school or institution.|
|How do I change my viewing preferences inside my subscription?|
You can select display options for your institution by logging into your Educator Edition in the upper right corner and clicking “Update Information” under “Account Information” on the left navigation bar.|
|Are promotional materials available?|
Promotional materials including flyers, brochures, and bookmarks are available. Contact our Marketing Department at email@example.com to put in your request.|
|Where can I find on-demand training videos for my staff and me?|
All of your Getting Started videos may be found in your Educator Edition under the “Video Tutorials” tab on the left navigation bar. Log in to your Educator Edition by following the link located in the upper right corner of the homepage of any database to which you subscribe.
|What training options are available to me?|
ABC-CLIO provides a variety of virtual and on-demand training options to customers. Read more about ABC-CLIO’s training program on the homepage www.abc-clio.com/abc-cliosolutions.|
|What are the browser, hardware, and software requirements?|
|Are third-party plug-ins required to view any of the database resources?
Adobe Flash Player is required for Flash animations, research tips, some Geography maps, and some audio and video. Apple QuickTime is required for some audio and video.|
|What type of authentication options does ABC-CLIO Solutions support?|
The simplest way to authenticate a database is to use your username and password, but ABC-CLIO Solutions also enables IP authorization and authentication by referring URL or public library barcode.|
|Are usage statistics available?|
Yes. Reports showing searches and sessions for the past year are available at http://counterstats.abc-clio.com. All you need to do is log in with your credentials and set the parameters for the type of report you’d like to run.|
|Are MARC records available?|
MARC records for all ABC-CLIO databases are available for download and may be found under “Website Information” at the bottom of any page.|
|Are persistent URLs available?|